Pages

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Barcelona Tour

The statue of Christopher Columbus is a major landmark in Barcelona.  We used him several times to lead us home to our apartment.
 
Another well-known site in Barcelona, Plaza Reiall.  This was also in our "hood" and we had lunch here one day.
 
Barcelona is a major Mediterranean seaport.  My great-grandmother, Susan Amelia Holder  Henderson , writes about her visit to Barcelona in her diary. Her visit was in 1868 at the age of 12---145 years ago.  I thought a lot about her and her parents while I was there.
One of Amelia's granddaughters has some rocks that Amelia brought home from Barcelona 145 years ago.
 
Amelia had gone to sea with her parents to help look after her mother, Hannah, who was suffering from consumption. The doctor thought the sea air might help with her condition. Amelia's father, Edwin Jacob Holder, was a sea captain, and he was there delivering cargo. Sea captains of that era often took their wives and (some) children with them. 
 
Coincidentally, I was suffering with a "raling" (or railing??) cough while I was there and had to stay in our apartment and cough while my companions went to the beach.  I wondered if it was the spirit of my consumptive great-great grandmother I was channeling.....????
Unfortunately, Hannah was not cured by the sea air and died 2 days after returning to the port of Saint John, at the age of 44, leaving 8 children behind.
 
Caixal Forum.
 
A scene from the "Rambla", Barcelona's most famous street.
 
More Rambla...
Had lunch here.
 
Had this "pail-sized" sangria which cost 11.40 euros....more than the cost of lunch.  Those of you who know me well can speculate on  my reaction to that!!!!
 
Rambla Birdman Embracing Beverly.  (Had to keep an eye on her!)
 
This is a souvenir for Emma.  Like it, Em?
 
And this is in memory of my mother.
 
And this is for you, Carla Bleakney, faithful Blog Follower.
 
And this is for my sister, Kathy, who has a special feeling  for bulls.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment